Astoria, Restaurants
Feb 02, 2017

Goodbye, Sugar Freak?

NOLA-focused restaurant Sugar Freak is closing at the end of February.

total shares!

sugarfreak exterior

UPDATE 2/10/17: We heard from Michele with an update—TL;DR Sugar Freak may not be totally dead after all:

“Just thought I would reach out and let you know more about the changes happening. I had no idea Sugar Freak was loved by so many of you. Thank you for all of your kind words. I am truly grateful.

“When I started working on the restaurant 7 years ago, it was just a dream. I am a Physical Therapist by trade, Sugar Freak is my first business. I was born and raised in Astoria and spent the first 36 years of my life in Ravenswood (down the block from Socrates Sculpture Park). I continue to be amazed by Astoria and all it will become. I truly hope Sugar Freak has helped add to the greatness of my hometown. After 5 years we will be closing the location at 36-18 30th Ave. February 28th is the last day.

“I feel like I owe an explanation, since the restaurant means so much so many of you. It is simply due to the fact that we have outgrown our kitchen. When I built the restaurant, I really had no idea how to build a restaurant. I am very DIY, I designed the space and the kitchen by myself. I read a few books that were given to me as Christmas presents, but beyond that, I have no restaurant design experience.

“Our kitchen is TINY, and during our renovation a few years ago, we were able to put a bandaid on things. I live to improve Sugar Freak! Right now, we will either expand the kitchen or move to another space. I have no definite answer.

“The Chef and I are rich with ideas. We would love your input too. Please reach out to me at: maddeo622@aol.com. Thanks for reading this. As a thank you for all your support, Happy Hour is now all day, every day!!!”

We have some sad news to share—beloved NOLA-focused restaurant Sugar Freak (36-18 30th Ave) is closing. Owner Michele Addeo sent us a note saying she’s wrapping things up and the final day for the restaurant will be February 28. As an aside, we expect this is the death knell for Pie Vs. Cake, too (but you never know).

We’ve asked Michele for more info and will update this post with when she passes it on. In the meantime, we welcome you to share your favorite Sugar Freak memories in the comments.

About Meg Cotner

Meg Cotner was trained as a harpsichordist and now works as a freelance writer and editor. She is the author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Queens," and is a skilled and avid home cook, baker, and preserver.

33 Comments

Nora Spencer

JEEZ PLEASE! Lets start a Go Fund Me Get a New Location that THEY DESERVE!

I am down with That…..THEN WE CAN ALL EAT THE GOOD FOOD
THAT WE DESERVE!

Keiko

Has anyone really confirmed about them relocating? It’s my favorite place! I can’t believe they are closing!

Michele C Addeo

Greetings Astoria!

My name is Michele Addeo. I am the owner and operator of Sugar Freak. Just thought I would reach out to you and let you know about the changes happening. I had no idea Sugar Freak was loved by so many of you. Thank you for all of your kind words. I am truly grateful.

When I started working on the restaurant 7 years ago, it was just a dream. I am a Physical Therapist by trade, Sugar Freak is my first business. I was born and raised in Astoria and spent the first 36 years of my life in Ravenswood (down the block from Socrates Sculpture Park). I continue to be amazed by Astoria and all it will become. I truly hope Sugar Freak has helped add to the greatness of my hometown. After 5 years we will be closing the location at 36-18 30th Ave, February 28th is the last day.

I feel like I owe an explanation, since the restaurant means so much so many of you. it is simply due to the fact that we have outgrown our kitchen. When I built the restaurant, I really had no idea how to build a restaurant. I am very DIY, I designed the space and the kitchen by myself. I read a few books that were given to me as Christmas presents, but beyond that, I have no restaurant design experience. Our kitchen is TINY, during our renovation a few years ago, we were able to put a bandaid on things. I live to improve Sugar Freak! Right now, we will either expand the kitchen or move to another space. I have no definite answer. When I do, I will post.
Thanks for reading this and putting up with my bad grammar! Sorry I didn’t post this earlier. As a thank you for all your support, Happy Hour is now all day, every day!!!

Vin

Hi Michele,

I tried to email you with any opportunity but the email you provided keeps bouncing back. Do you have another email available to contact you through?

I may have an opportunity for you to relocate in Astoria.

Thank you.

Rebeca

As a southerner, I’m heartbroken to hear the news :( I’ve been a loyal patron since they arrived in Astoria. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me they are opening in a new location in Astoria in the foreseeable future?!? PLEEEEEASE don’t leave us for good!

Mike Schnitzer

From what I understand they may be trying to take over the space where MexiCue was so maybe this isn’t the end of Sugar Freak for long? We sure can hope that’s the case.

Mike K

If they move to MexiCue they’ll close (again) within six months — the lease at that place is a hot mess.

Ryan

I was here for dinner on Saturday night (thinking it would be one of my last shots) and I was told my one of the waiters that they ARE NOT closing for good. They will be coming under new management and relocating (within Astoria), but they will be back.

Mike Schnitzer

Ha. I was there Saturday too (see the comment right before yours). I think we must have had the same waiter.

Scott

I come out to Astoria from downtown Manhattan specifically to eat at Sugar Freak! As a southern born Arkanasan I would get a trip back to my grandmothers dinner table when I would dine here. Truly the best and most authentic when it came to true Southern eats. Jibe well done and you will be missed!!

larissa green

wahhhhh!!! this is so freaking depressing! an affordable, delicious, hefty-portioned, home-feel spot is needed in this neighborhood and i’ll be sad to see this amazing joint gone. adding it to my birthday month bucket list!

Lindsay C

My heart is broken. I LOVE this place. They just remodeled last year and opened up a new place in Brooklyn – so I’m shocked!

I hope it’s not crazy packed all of Feb so I can come in once more.

Patience

Literally shed a tear. So sad to see them go. They’ve been so lovely to my hubby and I for the many years we’ve been going. (Dessert on the house on birthdays, didn’t turn us away late one cold snowy night when they were about to close) Great food and cozy environment that became our go to date nite spot. (After Amici Amore went downhill and then closed- a long,long time ago) Thanks to the owner for all your hospitality and good luck in future ventures! We’ll see you for one last feast- get the beignets and banana foster sauce ready!!!

Jillian

So so super sad to see this :( Sugarfreak has some really awesome eats, drinks and the ambiance is irreplaceable. Wishing you all the best but so sad to see you go!! Cookbook maybe?! I will definitely be there before the end of this month!!

Meredith

Can we label this Fake News/Alternative Facts and just keep showing up for the delicious food??? Will it just appear if we will it so? What a sad day :( This southern girl is going to miss that homey place. How about publishing a Sugar Freak cookbook? Sigh.

Bri

This is such sad news!!! This place is absolutely amazing both food wise and staff wise. Astoria will truly miss you, Sugarfreak!

Rita Armstrong

Our favorite. We are usually the older couple sitting at the bar, enjoying the grilled oysters, and etouffee or a po’ boy. Just glorious eats. Michele once looked over at us having such a good time and sent over drinks and dessert. She came over to talk and I found out the Onion Soup is her mother’s recipe, and one of her favorite comfort foods. Eating at this place is like being in your favorite friend’s home. You feel welcome, and comfortable. Eating this food always feels like a celebration. Love goes into it and it is obvious. We are heart broken, but more worried that everything is ok with Michele and her family. Yeah, it is that kind of place.

Kevin Hurley

This is very disappointing! I feel like MexiQ destroyed itself by messing with their menu so much, but Sugar Freak was always getting better :(

Freya

MexiQ absolutely made the worst choice ever with that menu revamp. I used to dine there every week and after the changes I went once and never again. Smaller, limited more expensive choices. $14 cocktails. No thanks. I’m glad they closed.

Roxanne

So, so sad to see this place go. My now husband and I had one of our first meals here when we moved to Astoria together a few years back and have been frequent visitors since. We always have a great time talking Nola with the super friendly staff and love indulging on some of our favorite Cajun dishes. I will sorely miss the Shrimp Creole and grits, and will certainly remember all the fun memories made here! Will definitely be visiting a few times this month.

Tamaris Rivera

Aw dammit – thats been my boyfriend and I’s place since the start! It was the first restaurant we went to in NYC when he visited me, and the place we celebrated his decision to stay. Its where we go on halloween to show off our costumes! Its what got me through missing my yearly Halloween New Orleans trip! Oh argh.

Danielle S

My fiancé and I celebrated our engagement at Sugar Freak! Nothing like a few too many hurricanes to quell your nerves after calling all your family and friends and to celebrate..ya, of course, that too! I think we stayed there until they closed that night. We will miss it dearly, but it will surely live on in our memories and stories of that day. RIP.

Steve

Sad news! My wife and I had our first date at Sugarfeak! We’ll have to go there for one last hurrah before the end of the month.

Mike

Sad news. Was always a delicious and different place. Another victim of the 30th save restaurant bubble bursting

Mike K

It’s not a restaurant bubble bursting — it’s simply businesses not being able to afford huge rent hikes. This is the unfortunate near future of Astoria: Developers building modern hi-rises and charging ridiculous rents, the people living in those buildings spending all their leisure time in midtown after work, and local businesses having to close shop.

Jon

This makes me so sad. I done at Sugar Freak a few times a month for dinner and I’ve had such amazing meals there. The staff are so friendly and kind and have always gone above and beyond and really made me feel at home. My partner is from Louisiana and this is the only Cajun/Creole place that he will eat at outside of of Louisiana. What a loss for the neighborhood. They will really be very sorely missed.

Alison

OMG I LOVE SUGAR FREAK. What is happening on 30th Ave? Everything is closing. I don’t understand because the place is always packed. Please update us when you know :(