Welcome to September everyone! What I love about the fall is that there’s never a shortage of new eats, and it just seems to me that chefs feel more adventurous in the fall, cooking up all sorts of interesting goodies, using lots of fresh root vegetables. Oh and beer is big too! Here’s what’s going on in the food world this week. Feel free to add in your own tid-bits in the comments.
1. The Queens County Market is back this Saturday, once again at the Laughing Devil Comedy Club in LIC. Check out tons of new vendors plus 14 beers on tap. 47-38 Vernon Blvd, LIC.
2. For more local goodness, the Queens Kickshaw will also be featuring their Hell Gate Farmstand this Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – noon. Get your fix of veggies, fruit and even local honey. 40-17 Broadway, Astoria. 718.777.0913
3. Tomatoes are almost out of season, so get them while they’re best at Alobar’s Tomato Festival – happening all this week. 46-42 Vernon Blvd, LIC. 718.752.6000
4. Check out a new food blog from our friend Stella Schour, called Cooking with Stellaaa. It’s inspired by her Filipino heritage, and of course includes infusions of her zesty personality.
5. One of our personal resto favorites, Bear has just rolled out their fall preview menu both for dinner and brunch. Check it out here. 12-14 31st Avenue, LIC. 917.396.4939
6. Wine virtuosos Astoria Park Wine & Spirits have relaunched their website and it looks great – take a look at the new things they have in store – or even better, pop in for a tasting. 28-07 24th Avenue, Astoria. 718.606.1142