It’s the weekend! Let’s get to the good stuff, shall we?
This weekend, Museum of the Moving Image (36-01 35th Ave.) debuts their latest series, Wed Anderson’s Worlds, and I for one could not be more excited. To celebrate the opening of his latest, Moonrise Kingdom (on May 25th), MOMI will be screening Anderson’s works as well as works that inspired him. It all starts with Rushmore Friday night at 7pm.
Friday night, support local art by attending the Art House Astoria Second Annual Gala (35-18 37th St.) More about the event:
Art House Astoria Conservatory for Music and Art is pleased to be hosting their Second Annual Fundraising Gala! Join us for an exciting evening of music and art featuring jazz legend Rudy Lawless with Carol Sudhalter and the Astoria Jazz Band! For more details on our special guests, please visit www.ahagala.org.
Once again Art House Astoria will be hosting a unique event celebrating our students of all ages. In addition to our special guests, student performers will be featured in the show and in an art exhibit during the evening. Raffles and silent auctions will take place during the event, offering a variety of fun items that will help us raise even more money. Our goal this year is to raise enough to purchase a new piano for our recital hall.
When you’re done at the big Art House Gala, stop into The Queens Kickshaw (40-17 Broadway) for some pretty cool like jazz. Brian Adler’s Helium Music Project is totally worth looking into. The music kicks off at 9pm and goes ’till 11:30.
It’s finally here, the big Build It Green + We Heart Astoria Block Party is upon us! Don’t miss another great WHA event:
Join us Saturday for an amazing day filled with:
- GrowNYC’s Stop ‘N’ Swap - Clear out clutter and help reduce NYC’s waste by bringing clean, portable, reusable items to donate to a new home, or simply take home items that are useful to you. It’s all free! No furniture/large items, please.
- Electronic-waste recycling with WeRecycle! – Responsibly recycle computers, monitors, printers, scanners, fax machines, peripherals, (keyboards, mice, cables, etc.) televisions, VCRs, DVD players, cell phones, pagers, PDAs, phones, answering machines, game consoles, portable music players, & other personal e-devices.
- Live music featuring Zeke Healy, Mandy Lee & Tianna Kennedy
- Plus sets by DJ Cool Places Sound System, DJ Dee Redgrave & DJ Tony Lowe
- Brooklyn Grange’s Fresh Farm Stand
- FREE Face Painting
- Plant, Compost & Seed Sale to Benefit Western Queens Compost Initiative (WQCI)
- Compost Tumbler Assembly Demo & Worm Bin Demo by WQCI
- Occupy Wall Street Screenprint Co-op – bring a t-shirt or bag to print on!
- Chhaya CDC is a non-profit organization connecting homeowners with incentives for energy audits and home improvement work to reduce energy use. Bring your utility bills (gas and electric) to sign up for a home energy audit!
- Simar Coffee - FREE samples!
And…last, but not least, the big WHA after party, from 3-5pm, featuring live music, Brooklyn Beer, Wine by Astoria Park Wine & Spirits, veggie burgers and more. Don’t forget to RSVP to the party here and see you Saturday.
Also happening Saturday, Baby Noir’s (26-26 23rd Ave.) latest kid friendly class allows you to put their artwork right on a t-shirt. How cool is that? Pre-register here to secure your spot and to get the correct t-shirt size for your little one. The class costs $25.
Have a sun filled weekend, and see you Saturday!