We all know we shouldn’t, but sometimes I just can’t help myself. This Friday let’s just all agree- we heart local gossip!
Did you hear…?
1. Looks like Marshall’s on Broadway is changing hands again, this time the sign says Portalia. Better luck next time.
2. A new cafe is going in where the questionable Eco Table once stood. The sign says “Aroma: engage your senses. Eclectic Mediterranean opening in October 2011.” Seems awfully fast for a whole new restaurant, don’t you think?
3. Have you seen the progress they’re making at the new Newtown Farmer’s Market (21-20 Newtown, Astoria)? I’m not holding my breath, but early rumors I’ve heard say this might be a Whole Foods style store.
4. Is Astoria destined to get yet another 7-11? Whispers are that one is going into a space near 31st. and Ditmars.
5. I’m sure you’ve heard the twitter talk about this already, but the renegade chefs from M. Wells will be serving up food on a truck this Sunday, Sept. 25th. near Center Blvd at 48th Ave. Word on the street is there will be free veal brains. I feel dirty having even just typed that. *shudder*
6. And in LIC eating news, it looks like Alobar (46-42 Vernon Blvd., LIC) is almost ready to open (we hear rumblings of an October open date) providing local, old world influenced nibbles and charcuterie. The same, it seems, can be said for Corner Bistro- yes that Corner Bistro who is coming to 47–18 Vernon Boulevard in Long Island City. Look for their classic take on the burger sometime this fall.
What gossip to you have for us Astoria?