Happy rainy Friday Astoria! Although today is still sloshy, this weekend promises to be sunny although cool. Fall is definitely upon us, and what pairs better with colder weather than hearty food and drink? Drinks like beer.
In honor of NYC Craft Beer Week, we’re taking a look at the 5 places we heart to take a break and enjoy a filling brewski. Bottoms up!
1. Koliba – This intimate Slovak restaurant is not only known for its hearty food but also for large steins of beer. I especially love getting the Czech, Staropramen or the Slovak, Zlaty Bazant (if they have it). They carry domestic beers too for all you patriots. 31-11 23rd Avenue, Astoria. 718.626.0430
2. Sweet Afton – An official participant of this year’s NYC Craft Beer Week, they also carry a wide variety of brew on a regular basis and even feature a seasonal pumpkin ale during this time of year. They’re known to serve locally sourced beer from Kelso Brewery which they have in a pilsner and a brown nut lager. 30-09 34th Street, Astoria. 718.777.2570
3. Fatty’s – Although not known for beer specifically, they have a great selection of microbrews such as Magic Hat and cheap domestic beers on tap too. A poor man’s special is a Tecate and a shot of tequila for $5. A couple of those will definitely get you to a happy place :) 25-01 Ditmars Blvd, Astoria. 718.267.7071
4. Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden – We can’t have a proper beer post without mentioning the legendary, Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden. It’s THE place to come if you’re a beer lover with over 20 beers on tap including Slovak & Czech, German, Belgian, British and of course domestic beer. Enjoy the outdoor garden while it’s still nice out. This weekend marks the Beer Garden’s 100th Anniversary so make sure you check out its special activities in honor of this monumental occasion. 29-19 24th Avenue, Astoria. 718.274.4925
5. Sunswick – Always a fun/neighborhoody place to check out for some good beer and nosh too, Sunswick has about 25 beers on tap including interesting options such as Young’s Chocolate Stout, Abita Turbodog, Two Brothers Northwind Imperial Stout and more. Beers (and burgers) are cheap so come by whether on a budget or not. 35-02 35th Street, Astoria. 718.752.0620